- How do Balinese know which gamelan orchestra to use for which ceremony?
- At what Age do Children in Bali start learning Gamelan? Part II
- At what age do children in Bali start learning gamelan?
- Gender Wayang – Bali’s Most Intimate Gamelan Ensemble
- How many Different Types of Balinese Gamelan are there in Bali?
- MekarBhuana on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- MekarBhuana on Sample Page
- Ellen Koskoff on Sample Page
- argiro on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- What is Gambuh Part II | Traveler Talk | Travel Forum on What is legong?
Author Archives: MekarBhuana
A couple of treatises called Aji Gurnita and Pra Kempa which date to the 1800s detail a number of the main types of ceremonial gamelan orchestras, explaining their instrumentation and their function.
Outside of Bali, a child who starts playing music at a kindergarten age is often considered naturally gifted, sometimes labeled a genius, a prodigy or similar. In Bali, however, this is not always so; and in fact it’s expected that … Continue reading
In short, many! Gamelan experts the world over normally claim that there are anything between 25 and 40 types; however, so far I’ve counted 70 with the number increasing all the time as people create more different varieties.
Bali is world famous for its gamelan music, which, to the outsider who may have been fortunate enough to have witnessed a temple ceremony, seems alive and well even in the face of globalization. At least on the surface.
Across Bali, there are thousands of bronze angklung groups, perhaps as many as the ubiquitous and incredibly popular gong kebyar that originate in North Bali in the early 20th century.
Found on a number of islands in Indonesia, notably Java, Bali and Lombok, angklung is a type of gamelan with very ancient roots. There are many theories about the origins of both the instruments and the scale, but, after nearly … Continue reading
One of the most intimate gamelan ensembles on the island, a gender wayang (gender for short) group consists of either two or four musicians. In the complete group of four, there are two medium-range instruments and two high-range. The ensemble … Continue reading
Wayang kulit are two dimensional stick puppets made from leather with movable arms and sometimes jaws and legs. Wayang on its own simply means puppet and kulit means leather, which is what they’re made of.