- Democracy and Equality in Balinese Gamelan Part I
- What is the difference between a lesson and a workshop at Mekar Bhuana Centre?
- Is listening part of Balinese culture?
- Gongs in Bali Part IV – What is Special about a Gong to Balinese?
- Gongs in Bali Part III – what is characteristic about Balinese gongs?
- Sue Pilla on How do Balinese know which gamelan orchestra to use for which ceremony?
- MekarBhuana on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- MekarBhuana on Sample Page
- Ellen Koskoff on Sample Page
- argiro on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
Category Archives: Selonding
A couple of treatises called Aji Gurnita and Pra Kempa which date to the 1800s detail a number of the main types of ceremonial gamelan orchestras, explaining their instrumentation and their function.
Bali is world famous for its gamelan music, which, to the outsider who may have been fortunate enough to have witnessed a temple ceremony, seems alive and well even in the face of globalization. At least on the surface.
In 2015, I went to Terunyan Village in the Batur region to check out a rare temple ceremony that is normally only held every 15 years. My main motivation was not the ceremony itself but the fact that there was … Continue reading
According to an article in the Bali Post in 2010, the origins of the Barong Berutuk of Terunyan are said to be connected to a megalithic statue that is found in Terunyan’s Pancering Jagat Temple, called Bhatara Datonta. No one … Continue reading