- Democracy and Equality in Balinese Gamelan Part I
- What is the difference between a lesson and a workshop at Mekar Bhuana Centre?
- Is listening part of Balinese culture?
- Gongs in Bali Part IV – What is Special about a Gong to Balinese?
- Gongs in Bali Part III – what is characteristic about Balinese gongs?
- Sue Pilla on How do Balinese know which gamelan orchestra to use for which ceremony?
- MekarBhuana on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- MekarBhuana on Sample Page
- Ellen Koskoff on Sample Page
- argiro on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
Monthly Archives: November 2015
If you are interested in Balinese traditional art-forms, many of you would have heard of wayang kulit: the shadow puppet show; however, the human version of these puppets, called wayang wong, is probably less familiar.
Every year, after the Bali Arts Festival I get questions from my readers about the way it is (mis)presented. Here are some of my answers: There seems to be little information available about the performers or their art-forms, so I … Continue reading
Balinese dances have always been a great source of fascination for visitors to Bali and were used to draw tourist to the island. In fact, in the earlier tourism promotion images right up until the 1970s, often young female dancers … Continue reading