- How do Balinese know which gamelan orchestra to use for which ceremony?
- At what Age do Children in Bali start learning Gamelan? Part II
- At what age do children in Bali start learning gamelan?
- Gender Wayang – Bali’s Most Intimate Gamelan Ensemble
- How many Different Types of Balinese Gamelan are there in Bali?
- MekarBhuana on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- MekarBhuana on Sample Page
- Ellen Koskoff on Sample Page
- argiro on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- What is Gambuh Part II | Traveler Talk | Travel Forum on What is legong?
Tag Archives: Balinese masks
It is unclear where the barong originated, however it is generally accepted that a barong is a physical manifestation of a protective spirit which guards people from evil influences. In Bali, it dates back to ancient, pre-Hindu times when animism … Continue reading
In Bali, everything is alive. Everything has a soul, so they say. Shrines, statues, even trees and boulders are ornamented with sacred black and white sarongs, as if they are human. Some ‘in the know’ people have suggested to me … Continue reading
According to Prof. R.M Moerdowo’s book, Reflections on Balinese Traditional and Modern Arts, wayang wong as we know it today was once referred to as Barong Blasan or Barong Kedingkling. Between 1775 and 1825, the King of Klungkung, I Dewa … Continue reading
If you are interested in Balinese traditional art-forms, many of you would have heard of wayang kulit: the shadow puppet show; however, the human version of these puppets, called wayang wong, is probably less familiar. It is not entirely clear … Continue reading
Musical instruments have a long and ancient history in Bali. In the court treatise on Balinese gamelan music, Aji Gurnita, an attempt is made at describing the gamelan orchestras of the era. Interestingly enough, the first musical instrument referred to … Continue reading
An extremely basic definition of legong is a dance traditionally performed by pre-pubescent girls in the palaces of feudal Bali. The word legong has been interpreted differently by a number of academies and its origins are unclear. One translation is … Continue reading