- How do Balinese know which gamelan orchestra to use for which ceremony?
- At what Age do Children in Bali start learning Gamelan? Part II
- At what age do children in Bali start learning gamelan?
- Gender Wayang – Bali’s Most Intimate Gamelan Ensemble
- How many Different Types of Balinese Gamelan are there in Bali?
- MekarBhuana on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- MekarBhuana on Sample Page
- Ellen Koskoff on Sample Page
- argiro on What is the function and origin of Barong Berutuk?
- What is Gambuh Part II | Traveler Talk | Travel Forum on What is legong?
Tag Archives: selonding
Bali is world famous for its gamelan music, which, to the outsider who may have been fortunate enough to have witnessed a temple ceremony, seems alive and well even in the face of globalization. At least on the surface.
In 2015, I went to Terunyan Village in the Batur region to check out a rare temple ceremony that is normally only held every 15 years. My main motivation was not the ceremony itself but the fact that there was … Continue reading
The third category of traditional Balinese singing is more serious ritual singing called kidung, also known as Sekar Madya (Javanese), and do not follow syllabic rules like pupuh that I talked about in the last article. Also, unlike pupuh, there … Continue reading
After the purchase of a beautiful iron selonding gamelan set, a duplicate of the ancient 10th century set from Besakih Temple, Mekar Bhuana Conservatory has immersed itself serious selonding study. And many students in the conservatory are keen to learn. … Continue reading